What is Jazz Cowboy Productions?

Jazz Cowboy Productions is an online music licensing service which allows the creators of visual media to obtain the necessary legal rights to use music from the Jazz Cowboy Productions catalogue in their audio-visual projects. Whether it’s for film, TV, gaming, trailer, brand campaign, podcast, wedding video or any other audio-visual use, we can provide the right sync licence to suit.

Why do I need licence to use music?

Whether for commercial or non-commercial purpose, you need permission from the copyright owner of a sound recording and the owner of the song itself (the musical work) if you want to use music created by someone else in an audio or audio-visual project.

Jazz Cowboy Productions licences can provide you with the legal permission you need to use music in your project. We offer a standard licence for non-commercial use and will work with you to create a custom licence for commercial use.

What is a Sync Licence?

‘Sync’ is short for synchronisation and refers to the act of synchronising music with audio-visual images. If you use a piece of music on your audio-visual production and you do not obtain a sync licence from the relevant copyright owners, you would be liable for copyright infringement.

Why should I Use Jazz Cowboy Productions?

Jazz Cowboy Productions provides access to music that is ready to go – it’s mastered, cleared for licensing, includes detailed metadata and is available to you for exclusive use.

Our catalogue includes music from independent Australian and New Zealand artists across a range of genres. We are proud to be supporting and promoting these artists to reach new audiences and develop new revenue streams from their music. In a time when income from recorded music is falling, licensing is a way for independent artists to sustain and build their careers. By licensing from Jazz Cowboy Productions, you have the opportunity to support independent artists and discover unique sounds for your production.

Why do I need a Jazz Cowboy Productions User Account?

There are a bunch of features which are only available to you if you have a Jazz Cowboy Productions account, these are:

  • Listen to full-length tracks – available only after logging in.
  • Access to temporary low-res tracks to test in your project. Once you are ready to finalise your project, purchase the applicable licence and you will be able to download the hi-res fully licensed track.
  • Download links for purchased licences are stored in your account so you can come back and download the track again.

It’s easy and free to open a Jazz Cowboy Productions account, click here to get started.

How do I ensure I have the right type of Jazz Cowboy Productions licence?

A standard licence is available for non-commercial use, can be purchased online and downloaded within 24 hours (following final approval from the artist). For music for commercial purposes, we’ll work with you to create a custom licences that suits your needs (and budget!). Contact us to start the conversation hello@jazzcowboyproductions.com.au

What types of use are covered by Jazz Cowboy Productions licences?

Our standard licence is for non-commercial use. We work with you to create a custom licence for commercial use such as film, TV, gaming, trailers, brand campaigns and business use.

What type of distribution formats are covered by Jazz Cowboy Productions licences?

We provide a standard licence for non-commercial online, external and internal distribution formats (see definitions of each of these below in the Definitions section). For paid advertising, broadcast or other commercial usages we’ll work with you to create a custom licence.

Definitions and commonly used terms

Below are some of the terms which are commonly used on Jazz Cowboy Productions and in our standard and custom licences.

Copyright Owner(s) means the person (or other entity) which owns and controls the copyright in the Master Recording and/or the Musical Work.

Crowdfunding Platform means a website/service which facilitates crowdfunding such as Kickstarter, Pozible, Pledge, GoFundMe, Indiegogo.

Distribution means the method by which you will be distributing or communicating your audio-visual production, for example, online, hard copy, broadcast, television, cinema, etc.

External means use involving face-to-face interactions with people outside your business or organisation such as conferences, training presentations, in-stores and trade shows. Does not include any online, broadcast or other media uses.

Film Festival means to use in a film for submission and/or screening at film festivals.

Licence Fee means the fee that you pay to Jazz Cowboy Productions to secure the applicable licence.

Instrumental means a song without any lyrics or vocals.

Internal means use internally within a single business or organisation such as training materials, meetings, presentations.

Licence Period means the length of time (term) that the licence is valid. For example, the Licence Period could be limited to a certain timeframe (12 months) or perpetual (forever).

Master Sound Recording means a sound recording of a Musical Work.

Musical Work means the music and lyrics (if any) which are embodied on a Master Recording.

Not-for-profit means an organisation which is recognised by the law of the organisation’s home country as a not-for-profit or charitable organisation. Jazz Cowboy Productions will request proof of your not-for-profit status when selecting a not-for-profit licence.

Online means for use on websites, including user-generated websites such as YouTube, Vimeo and social media. Does not include any premium or paid streaming services such as Netflix, or any broadcast media as these are covered under use in a film, TV, online, trailers, brand campaigns, etc.

Permitted Use means the use or uses available to you under a particular Jazz Cowboy Productions licence.

Perpetual means forever. Perpetual licences are perfect for projects which are going to be distributed on an ongoing basis.

Single-use means that the Track can only be used in one project. If you want to use the same Track in a different project you will have to obtain another licence. All Jazz Cowboy Production standard licences are for single use. Custom and commercial licences can be created for other situations.

Territory means the country or countries where the Licence is valid.

Track means the sound recording and the musical work embodied on that sound recording.

Can’t find the answer to your question?

Send us an email hello@jazzcowboyproductions.com.au